Somatic Experiencing is a pioneering body based method concerning physical, emotional. and psychological shock, stress, and trauma. It works with your body’s natural self regulating system and does not necessarily involve touch or bodywork; rather it listens to and uses the voice of the body referred to as the felt sense.
It works to gently release trapped stress energy, to allow an overwhelmed nervous system to come back to regulation.
Some of the events that can cause an overwhelmed and dis-regulated system are:-
- physical wounds such as medical interventions and vehicle accidents
- inescapable attack: rape, sexual abuse, incest, torture, war.
- loss of a loved one, divorce,
- natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes, tsunamis.
- high fever, asphyxiation, birth trauma.
- developmental trauma or emotional trauma such as neglect, abandonment, or betrayal during childhood.
Some of the symptoms that can occur are:-
- anxiety, phobias, and panic attacks.
- palpitations, shallow breathing and breathlessness.
- involuntary tics, jerking or grimacing.
- inexplicable reactions to everyday events.
- being over alert, on guard, or over excitable.
- being attracted to dangerous situations, addictive behaviours such as smoking, alcohol dependency, drug abuse.
- extreme sensitivity to light and/or sound.
- insomnia, nightmares, night terrors.
- abrupt mood swings, shame, lack of self worth, depression.
- mental blankness or feelings of being “spaced out”.
- amnesia and forgetfulness.
- exhaustion, chronic fatigue.
- muscle weakness and pain.
- psychosomatic illnesses, particularly some headaches, migraines, neck and back problems.
- severe menstrual problems potentially affecting fertility.
- digestive problems.
- immune system problems and certain endocrine conditions.